PLEASE NOTE :: We are still open for business and accepting new clients. To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering new and current clients the ability to meet with us via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options and learn more here.
Paulette Brazil was born and raised in Waukesha, Wisconsin. She graduated from the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee with an undergraduate degree in Business Administration with an emphasis in Finance in 1986. She graduated from the John Marshall Law School in Chicago, Illinois with honors, Cum Laude, in 1990. During law school, Paulette participated in a number of school activities including the law review program, the Gavel Society, the International Legal Fraternity of Phi Delta Phi and student government. Paulette was also awarding the Outstanding Achievement in the Study of Law award in the Who's Who Among American Law Student's 10th Edition. After moving back to the State of Wisconsin, Paulette passed the Wisconsin State Bar Exam in 1991. She has been practicing law since 1991 and has been practicing exclusively in the family law area since 1993.
Paulette started her own law practice in September of 1993. Attorney Kristina Thelen and Paulette formed a partnership in 1997 and grew the firm further. Stephanie Benske jointed as a third partner in 2000 and the firm enjoyed further growth and established the business now known as Brazil, Thelen & Benske, S.C.
Paulette practices primarily in Milwaukee, Waukesha, Racine and Ozaukee Counties. Paulette also graduated from the University of Milwaukee's Mediation Program in 2011 and she offers mediation services to assist in resolving family law related issues. Paulette is also trained in collaborative law and offers services as a collaborative attorney as well.
Paulette has been a member of the Inns of Court, the Family Law Society, Justinian Society and the Wisconsin Club. She has done volunteer work in the area of domestic violence and at the Self Help Legal Clinic which was offered at the Milwaukee County Courthouse. She has appeared on WTMJ both in a radio and a news program. Paulette has also appeared with Attorney Stephanie Benske on a Dateline program which profiled a family related case. Paulette has been recognized as a Super Lawyer associated with the Milwaukee Magazine. She has also prepared materials for and presented seminars for other attorneys on family law related issues for the National Business Institute.
Paulette's interests include a priority of spending time with family and participating in sports, especially running. Running has been a passion. Paulette is a long standing member of the Badgerland Strider's running group. She has been a significant supporter of and participates in running events including marathons in Georgia and San Francisco and half marathons including the Rock and Soul half marathons at the Summerfest grounds and the Badgerland Strider half marathon. Paulette's passion for running is shared by her sister Kelly Hazelton who is a paralegal at the law firm and nieces and a nephew. They can all be found frequenting local running events throughout the season including the family favorite "The Storming of the Bastille" held in downtown Milwaukee.
Areas of Practice
- Child Support
- Child Placement
- Child Custody
- Property Division
- Relevant Tax Issues
- Collaborative Divorce
- Wisconsin, 1991
- John Marshall Law School, Chicago, Illinois
- Juris Doctorate - 1990
- Honors: cum laude
- University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
- Major: Finance
- In re the interest of Caryn A-G, 228 Wis.2d 658, 1999, 1999135846
- In re the Marriage of Christine Connors & Robert Reimer, 1998
- In re the Marriage of Edward M. Pipp v. Paul Crivello, 1998
Honors and Awards
- 2008 and 2009 Super Lawyer
- A List WISN 12 for family law
- Super Lawyer Recognition
- Outstanding Achievement Award in the Study of Law
- Inducted into the Gavel Society
- Inducted into International Legal Fraternity of Phi Delta Phi
- Invited to speak on WTMJ program regarding family law issues
- Who’s Who American Law Student’s
- Who’s Who Among Attorneys
- Certificate of Appreciation for outstanding volunteer for the Wisconsin Family Justice Clinic
- Top 100 Family lawyers in the State of Wisconsin by the American Society of Legal Advocates
- Nominated to the National Association of Professional Women
- Milwaukee's Lifestyle Magazine Leading Lawyer, 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Family Law Section, Member
- Inns of Court
- Gavel Society
- Family Law Section of the State Bar
- Society of Family Lawyers
- Wisconsin Club
- Justinian Society
Pro Bono Activities
- Volunteer, Self Help Legal Clinic