Brazil & Benske, LLC

4 signs you are not receiving enough child support

Like many women in Milwaukee, you thought you had found the perfect spouse. As you and your husband raised children and pursued different careers, however, you grew apart. Following your divorce, you focus much of your attention on the wellbeing of your kids. 

To provide care for your children, you rely on child support. While payments may have been enough during the first few years after your divorce, they may now seem grossly inadequate. Here are four signs it may be time to seek a modification of your child support order. 

1. You cannot meet your child’s basic needs 

The clearest indicator you are not receiving sufficient child support is also the most heartbreaking. If you simply cannot meet your child’s basic needs, you may need to rethink your child support order. While your former spouse may not have the financial means to pay you more, asking a judge to reopen the matter may help you access additional funds. 

2. Your child’s other parent is making significantly more 

To determine whether to increase child support, Wisconsin judges usually look for a change in circumstances. If your child’s other parent is making more than he was at the time you negotiated child support, you may be able to successfully request higher payments. 

3. You are making significantly less 

If you did not voluntarily reduce your own income, you may have a valid claim for an increase in child support. While preparing for hard times is part of parenting, a loss of income may change the circumstances of your child support order enough for a judge to order your former spouse to pay more. 

4. Other circumstances have changed 

Determining which parent must pay child support requires considering several factors. While the earning potential of you and your spouse certainly matters, there may be other things in your life that affect the calculation. As such, if you are experiencing major life changes, you may be in a good position to request a modification of your child support order. 

All children deserve the opportunity to grow up in a happy and healthy environment. If you think your current child support order is not good for your child’s overall well-being, you may want to ask a judge to require your former spouse to increase support payments.  

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Alist WISN 12 |
  • Leading Lawyer
  • Super Lawyer
  • Nation's Premier NAFLA Top 10 Ranking 2014
  • American Inns of Court
  • ASLA 2015 top 100 Lawyer
  • 10 Best 2015 Client Satisfaction | 10 Best Lawfirms | American Institute Of Family Law Attorneys | TM
Send Us An Email

Take Your First Step: Schedule A Free Consultation

Call us at 414-939-0468 or use our contact form to arrange an initial consultation with a dedicated family law attorney at Brazil & Benske, LLC.

We will explain how the process starts and ends and what needs to be accomplished during its course. This understanding in and of itself will provide you with a clear direction and will start to alleviate some of your concerns.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy