Brazil & Benske, LLC

Modifying divorce terms when circumstances change

After you file your divorce paperwork in Wisconsin, you may think the terms of the agreement are unchangeable. However, there are some circumstances when you may be able to modify the terms of your divorce to address changes in your life. At Brazil & Benske, LLC, we understand that divorce agreements sometimes need modifications if they are to continue meeting the needs of everyone involved.

There are many common life events that may cause you to seek a change in your divorce agreement. For example, if your income changes substantially, it may be necessary to increase or decrease the amount of spousal support you pay or receive. Sometimes divorce modifications may remove alimony orders completely.

Child custody issues may also lead to a change in the terms of your divorce. If you are not the custodial parent, certain events may cause you to request changes in child support or custody terms. For example, you may petition for custody if circumstances affect your ex-spouse's ability to care for your children. If you lose your job, you may request to have your child support payments reduced temporarily.

You may also seek modifications to your divorce terms if you are the custodial parent. Your divorce agreement may require you to live within a certain area that allows your children to be close to your ex-spouse. If you want to move away from the area or to another state, you may submit a petition for the court to modify your divorce. You and your ex-spouse may be able to agree on relocation terms through a mediation process.

A divorce may affect certain areas of your life for years. However, you may be able to change the terms of your divorce when financial or custodial issues occur. More information on divorce modification is available on our web page.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Alist WISN 12 |
  • Leading Lawyer
  • Super Lawyer
  • Nation's Premier NAFLA Top 10 Ranking 2014
  • American Inns of Court
  • ASLA 2015 top 100 Lawyer
  • 10 Best 2015 Client Satisfaction | 10 Best Lawfirms | American Institute Of Family Law Attorneys | TM
Send Us An Email

Take Your First Step: Schedule A Free Consultation

Call us at 414-939-0468 or use our contact form to arrange an initial consultation with a dedicated family law attorney at Brazil & Benske, LLC.

We will explain how the process starts and ends and what needs to be accomplished during its course. This understanding in and of itself will provide you with a clear direction and will start to alleviate some of your concerns.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy