Brazil & Benske, LLC

Are you still required to pay child support with no job?

You have recently been informed that your job in Wisconsin is no longer stable and it is time for you to find new employment. While this news alone has left you feeling stressed and uneasy, you are also facing the challenge of continuing to support your children through a legally required child support payment, without adequate income to cover the costs recommended by the court order. 

While discontinuing to pay your obligations may seem like a fair and appropriate response for a temporary period of time, discontinuing payments without providing information to anyone can put you in trouble with the law. As soon as you miss a payment, you will be considered delinquent and could be facing serious legal consequences including suspension of your driver's license or passport, fines and having your tax return withheld among other things. The number one way you can prevent such serious consequences is by making sure that the appropriate parties are informed of the changes in your employment status. 

According to the Wisconsin Department of Children and Families, you should take the initiative to contact the child support agency to tell them that you have lost your job, within 10 days of receiving that news yourself. If it appears as though you will continue to remain jobless for some time, or if your job search is not fruitful right away, you have the option of requesting that the court order be modified to reflect a lower payment on your part. As soon as you are able to secure new employment, make sure the child support agency is aware.

The information in this article is intended for educational purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice.  

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Alist WISN 12 |
  • Leading Lawyer
  • Super Lawyer
  • Nation's Premier NAFLA Top 10 Ranking 2014
  • American Inns of Court
  • ASLA 2015 top 100 Lawyer
  • 10 Best 2015 Client Satisfaction | 10 Best Lawfirms | American Institute Of Family Law Attorneys | TM
Send Us An Email

Take Your First Step: Schedule A Free Consultation

Call us at 414-939-0468 or use our contact form to arrange an initial consultation with a dedicated family law attorney at Brazil & Benske, LLC.

We will explain how the process starts and ends and what needs to be accomplished during its course. This understanding in and of itself will provide you with a clear direction and will start to alleviate some of your concerns.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy